Monday, June 1, 2009

Just A Start

This is my very first blog. I was encouraged by my good friend and colleague Tom Sherby to publish it. I hope to share snippets from my long career and my personal adventures. I have had a lot fun, and I hope that in a small way I have made a difference.

I recently retired from Zan Group as its Chief Human Resources Officer. The company is a leading telecom provider in 24 markets in Africa and the Middle East. Zain employs over 16,000 employees with over 100 nationalities. It has been a tremendous journey. Zain has a fearless leader at the helm and it strives to achieve a culture that engages and motivates people. I feel blessed for having had this opportunity.

Over the years, I have also had the opportunity to work in many countries: in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and South East Asia. I also have had the privilege of visiting over 60 countries. We live in a wonderful world ... full of mysteries and beauty. You can see our Creator's magic hand all around you, in the mountains, in the lakes, in the rivers, in the mighty oceans, and in the many hamlets, small towns and cities that dot our planet. And, of course, in the people you meet ... black, white, yellow, brown, red ... it does not matter! We are all God's creation.

Born in Italy, I emigrated to the US at the age of 18. After serving in the US Army, I attended the University of Connecticut where I met my bride to be, a beautiful young woman of Greek descent from Palo Alto, California. We married at the end of the freshman year. She was barely 19 and I had turned 21 seven months earlier. We transferred to San Jose State University after we got married.

As an immigrant, I had humble goals-- to provide adequately for my family and to engage in work that would provide me with a challenge and the opportunity to learn.

People now tell me that I have lived the American dream ... successful career, financial independence, and respect from my peers and colleagues. America is indeed the land of opportunity (a land of immigrants) but my expectations were meager, just a yearning for learning and advancement.

So I start this blog with the goal of sharing some of my thoughts, reflections, and a few pet peeves. The latter is a luxury that you earn with age as you "awake from the hypnosis of social conditioning" (Deepak Chopra, M.D.). Someone has said that wisdom is experience plus mistakes made. Well, I have lots of experience and I have made many mistakes. I hope to share some lessons learned along the way.

I encourage those who read my blog to make their own mistakes because that is the best way to learn but not to necessarily repeat those mistakes I have made.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tasca! This is great! I agree with your friend who convinced you to begin a Blog...it really is a great way to reach a HUGE amount of people who WANT to read what you are typing...don't forget to begin a Twitter account too...Dilip is Twittering these days too

    Welcome to the Blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to hear from Dilip. It has been some time. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete